here you’ll find answers to the most frequently asked questions.
Want to know more about what makes Cipher, well, cipher? check us out.
Properly preparing skin for your skincare routine is important. without cleansing, a barrier of built up oils, dirt, and environmental pollutants sit between your products and your skin. Here are our cleansing tips to help your skincare do the most work for you.
Start with these suggestions, but always stick with a method that makes your skin happy.
Goal: remove all makeup, SPF, dirt, And other residues from the surface of skin without disrupting its natural balance.
First, If you’re wearing makeup or sunscreen, remove it. We recommend this pre-cleansing step every evening, makeup or not, to avoid leaving residues from the day behind. Use an oil-based balm cleanser and/or micellar water to dissolve the makeup and rinse it away easily without tugging on the skin. our cloud melt hybrid cleanser is a perfect pre-cleanse or first-cleanse option!
Apply your cleansing balm or oil cleanser of choice to dry skin to maximise it’s impurity dissolving powers. Massage for 30 seconds before adding a touch of water to emulsify and lift the residues from your skin. Rinse thoroughly with warm water or remove with a damp facial cloth.
Next, Your staple cleanser should be gentle and ideally have a pH near 5.5—like our beloved CLoud Melt. Most prefer a cream or foaming gel version for this step, but choose one that suits you. Massage your cleanser into skin for at least 30 seconds to properly dissolve impurities and deep clean pores, focusing on any congested areas. Rinse clean, taking extra care along the hairline.
more cleansing tips:
- Avoid overly abrasive physical exfoliants (walnut shells, we’re looking at you) and harsh surfactants, like the infamous SLS, that can strip the skin of its natural oils.
- If your skin is feeling tight after cleansing, you likely would do better with a gentler option. Think fewer/milder surfactants, balanced pH, less scrubbing, and skin-nourishing ingredients (ahem, Cloud Melt!).
- if you’re looking to add some physical exfoliation, stick to gentle scrubs or consider removing your cleanser with a muslin or microfiber cloth. Exfoliating too often or too aggressively can cause skin to become reactive, so proceed with caution and pay attention to how your skin responds!
Goal: hydrate, ensure proper pH balance of skin, and potentially add light physical exfoliation.
Toner is optional, but can be a great addition to your routine. Choose a toner that suits your skin’s needs. This is a great opportunity to boost AHAs for chemical exfoliation or add nourishing, calming agents to soothe stressed skin. avoid products with denatured alcohol. water is your skin’s best friend, and Applying a watery toner will allow your skin to drink it up quickly and provide more hydration for your serum/moisturiser to lock into place.
certain toners or hydrating mists may be spritzed on after cleansing or any time of day to add moisture and refresh. If you’d like a touch of physical exfoliation, consider using a reusable cotton round to apply your toner. Gently sweep over your entire face, focusing on problem areas like the nose.
you’re using a pH balanced cleanser (good job!), but have you considered the pH of your tap water? Tap water can often have a pH of around 8. A pH this high can disrupt our skin’s natural pH of 5.5, and a toner can help bring it back into balance.
Now you’re ready to get the most out of your cipher products!
Do I really need sunscreen every day? Even in winter? When it’s raining? When I’m inside all day?
Sunscreen is your first line of defence against damaging UVA (mostly aging) and UVB (mostly burning) rays. Physical (mineral) and chemical (organic) Sunscreen work mainly by absorbing UV rays and converting them to a safe level of heat before they impact your skin.
UVA rays can penetrate windows and clouds, so even when you’re sitting in that office, in your car, on a plane—wear sunscreen!
Still not convinced? Consider this: UV rays are the single biggest cause of premature aging. If you’re investing in skincare and diligently following a routine, Don’t risk undoing your hard work. Wear sunscreen!
The best sunscreen for you is one you’re happy to use every day.
How do I find the one?
There are many, many options that can meet your sun protection needs. Experiment to find a consistency and formula that works best with your skin, and Shoot for spf 30 or greater.
Cancer Council Australia states one full teaspoon is needed to effectively cover face, neck and ears—so don’t short yourself! Less is NOT more when it comes to SPF. Remember to apply 20 minutes prior to sun exposure and ideally reapply every 2 hours.
As an aside, It’s not recommended to rely on the SPF in your makeup alone. You’d have to apply an excessive amount (remember: one tsp!) to attain the SPF rating stated on the packaging.
Sunscreen options to Consider.
- a mineral-based option. Your answer if you want to keep it natural. These can sometimes feel a bit weighty on the skin and leave a slight white cast, but There are exceptions!
- an “invisible” sunscreen. These are usually silicone-based chemical sunscreens. They live up to their name if you’re not fond of the typical heavy sunscreen feel. Also great for deeper skin tones.
- a tinted or clear moisturiser with SPF. There are some beautiful hybrid formulas becoming available. If you go the tinted route, ensure you’re applying enough for proper SPF protection!
- setting spray with spf. probably your quickest option for a top up.
- translucent finishing powder with spf. a great mattifying booster if your skin tends to be on the oily side.
- want to reapply your regular sunscreen? try using a dense makeup sponge with a tapping technique to press into skin with minimal impact to makeup. check out hannah (@ms_hannah_e), australia’s resident spf beauty guru, for some great tips.
Looking for brand suggestions?
You’ll likely begin noticing changes in your skin immediately.
Our products are formulated to dramatically improve the hydration level of your skin and help prevent transepidermal water loss (TEWL). Increasing the water content of your skin can reduce the appearance of wrinkles, balance sebum production, and help skin function at its best. while our full line is built to hydrate, vital perfecting elixir and vital perfecting eye are your daily hydration stars.
Some changes in your skin take time.
This includes improving The appearance of discoloration and scarring. if your goal is to to make an impact on photoaging, we recommend using Night Shift for a minimum of 2 months.
Skincare is also about prevention.
While some aspects of our range work to correct the appearance of existing damage, C-Shield‘s focus is to protect your skin cells and prevent it from happening in the first place.
exfoliation helps now, and later.
Using our Botanical Enzyme Exfoliant to slough off dead skin cells will refresh the appearance of your complexion immediately. Maintaining a regular exfoliation regimen over time can impact the visible factors that age us: wrinkles, firmness, and pigmentation. Learn your skin’s tolerance for AHAs and need for exfoliation and adjust your routine accordingly. AHAs can increase skin’s sensitivity to the sun. use sunscreen daily.
we use natural preservatives accepted by ecocert as ingredients in certified organic cosmetics. In addition, they are on the whole foods acceptable premium preservative list.
INCI: Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate
derived from radishes fermented with Leuconostoc kimchii; a lactic acid bacteria that has traditionally been used to make kimchi. Its antimicrobial benefits not only keep the products healthy and safe, but may also benefit acne prone skin.
INCI: Lactobacillus (and) Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Extract
developed by fermenting Coconut fruit with Lactobacillus, it prevents the growth of fungus, especially yeast and mold. It’s non-irritating, effective and multifunctional; providing moisturising and conditioning benefits to boost skin health.
The countries we currently ship to, including pricing:
- Australia + New Zealand: AUD$15 flat rate or free on orders of AUD$150 or more
- United States, United Kingdom, + Canada: USD$24 flat rate or free on orders of USD$200 or more